Code of Ethics
All members of the Bracco Italiano Club undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics.
Club members will:
1) properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2) agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, or who carries out a caesarean section on a bitch, may report such operation to the Kennel Club;
3) agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4) abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5) not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6) agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7) not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8) ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9) clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10) only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11) supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12) ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13) not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as standalone items (not accompanying a dog).
14) not rehome a dog to commercial dog wholesalers or retail pet dealers.
15) not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
16) conduct themselves in such a way as to not bring discredit to the breed or the Club and will demonstrate good sportsmanship at all times, helping and befriending those new to the breed in whatever capacity.
17) make every effort to keep abreast of any problems with regard to soundness, temperament, hereditary defects etc. and take advantage of any scheme devised to test the dogs. All dogs and bitches must have been hip and elbow scored prior to mating and hold a current eye certificate. When using overseas sires it is recommended that they are health tested.
18) not allow their bitches to whelp more than once every twelve calendar months, on consecutive seasons or before the age of two and not after the age of eight years at the time of whelping save in exceptional circumstances and only provided application is made to the KC prior to the mating, and the bitch has previously whelped at least one other KC registered litter and KC permission has been received. Any such application to the KC will need to be supported by veterinary evidence as to the sustainability of the bitch involved in the proposed whelping. Members will not allow their bitches to have any more than three litters during her lifetime.
19) all Dogs must be over the age of 2 years before being used at Stud. Members will not allow their dogs to be used at stud if the stud dog itself, or the bitch, are in poor condition or health. Members will ensure that the owners of any bitches being served by their stud dog are complying with the conditions in point 17.
20) not knowingly breed for any colour or characteristic not found in the Italian breed Standard.
21) take full responsibility for all puppies bred by them and will wherever possible take back or alternatively provide for any dog of their breeding which needs a new home until a suitable alternative home is found. This is a joint responsibility of both stud dog and bitch owners.
22) to ensure all stock is permanently identified ie micro chipped tattooed.
23) to only breed from Bracchi which are Kennel Club registered or in the case of overseas dogs to be registered with their home country’s Kennel Club.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.